html email

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Mon Aug 28 21:01:00 GMT 2006

Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
> Resending as per Mike's PPIOSPE (not sure why the 'reply' to you went
> private, unless your original mail was private to me?  In which case
> PPIOSPE back-atcha :)

"Mike"? Who's "Mike"? :-)
As for your question, your question, a: because I can't set reply-to
(AFAIK Thunderbird doesn't let you set it on individual groups, which is
needed as I also subscribe to several non-Cygwin lists which would not
be amused if my reply-to was a Cygwin address), and b: because I CC'd
you, not knowing if you were watching cygwin-talk. Welcome! Watch for
falling hippos. Anyway, yes I did send to you privately, but *also* to
the list. :-) But no worries, you're here now.

And since you're here, I'll copy my reply (sans prior clarification) for
anyone else's benefit.

> All of those links you provide are arguments against HTML-only email.

(Right, because I meant "HTML *mail*", as clarified above and in private
mail :-). So I've snipped the bits that were only relevant to that slip
on my part.)

> I agree that's a bad idea.  But when most mail programs send both plain
> text and HTML, the arguments are moot.  As long as the plain text
> version is there, what's the big deal?

Keep in mind that this is a *mailing list*, and there are additional
concerns... like digests, archives, and that the list is proactively
preventing people from abusing HTML for nefarious purposes. That, and
you forgot the bandwidth issue.

> There's a well defined way to support both plain text and rich text in
> email.  I don't see why the plain text crowd has to say the rich text
> crowd can't coexist when there's a viable way to support both.

In a word, bandwidth.

>> If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?),
>> you have too much time on your hands.
> Standard?  Keywords are blue, comments are red, that kind of thing needs
> a standard?

Oh? Funny, when I look at source, keywords are green, comments are gray,
normal text is cyan, etc, and everything has a dark blue background. See
what I mean? :-) There are many ways to highlight code, and not all are
the same. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'm just pointing out that
you and I may have different ideas on how it should be done.

> In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
> the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so, piping it
> through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a lesser platform.

Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't do
this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. --Badtech