Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines.

David Chatterton chatz@melbourne.sgi.com
Mon Aug 30 21:55:00 GMT 2004

Chuck,

We have a build environment for a reasonably large piece of code
that several people could be building at the same time. On a dual
800MHz P3 and even a quad 550MHz box we had no problems, but upgrading
to a dual 1.8GHz AMD box improved build times dramatically but
the vast majority of builds fail with:

- Microsoft's compiler reporting missing source file. I suspect
   the environment and/or current working directory is not
   setup correctly everytime a prcess is created. Rerun make and
   it works. Very strange.

- Thread activation errors which kill the build and the running
   shell.

rsync is also unreliable as it regularly hangs, but its unclear if
that is related.

I will also investigate providing a box, but that might be the
easy part. Providing a test case that does not rely on our code
base might be more of a challenge.

David