Wrong NTFS permissions

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr
Wed Jan 24 08:35:07 GMT 2024

On 24/01/2024 at 04:14, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
>> $ cd /cygdrive/h/
>
> what is H ?

It is H:, a local NTFS partition.

> Use csih package for more info on your remote package

$ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo /cygdrive/h
Device Type        : 0x07
Characteristics    : 0x00020020
   FILE_REMOVABLE_MEDIA              : FALSE
   FILE_REMOTE_DEVICE                : FALSE
Volume Name        : <***>
Serial Number      : ***
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags              : 0x03e706ff
   FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH        : TRUE
   FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES         : TRUE
   FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK              : TRUE
   FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS              : TRUE
   FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION             : TRUE
   FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS                : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES        : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS      : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE      : FALSE
   FILE_RETURNS_CLEANUP_RESULT_INFO  : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_POSIX_UNLINK_RENAME : TRUE
   FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED         : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS          : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION          : TRUE
   FILE_NAMED_STREAMS                : TRUE
   FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME             : FALSE
   FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE        : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS        : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_HARD_LINKS          : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_EXTENDED_ATTRIBUTES : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_OPEN_BY_FILE_ID     : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_USN_JOURNAL         : TRUE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_INTEGRITY_STREAMS   : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_BLOCK_REFCOUNTING   : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_VDL          : FALSE
   FILE_DAX_VOLUME                   : FALSE
   FILE_SUPPORTS_GHOSTING            : FALSE
SectorInfoFlags    : 0x03
   SSINFO_FLAGS_NO_SEEK_PENALTY      : FALSE
   SSINFO_FLAGS_TRIM_ENABLED         : FALSE

By the way, I found a solution:
setfacl -s u::rwx,g::r-x,o::r-x,d:u::rwx,d:g::r-x,d:o::r-x myfolder

After that, permissions work as expected inside "myfolder" and new
subfolders. Even on H:. But I'm not sure to understand why. I would have
expected that a simple chmod on myfolder would have be enough, instead of
the obscure setfacl.

Anyway, in my initial report, the "getfacl: b: Invalid argument" message
looks really abnormal.

Cheers,

--
Vincent Rivière